Given the worked up lifestyle, constant worry about job, bills, financial stability, and an increased influence of social media leading to desire a frequent upgrade in lifestyle, stress has seeped into our daily lives. We worry about getting a better job or making more money, which leads us to over working, and while doing so we compromise our relationships and ignore our daily well-being. The hypothalamus in our brain sends an order to release stress hormones and you end up with fast-paced heartbeat, tightened muscles and short breath.
While the hypothalamus’ function is actually a coping mechanism for your body in an event of an emergency, our lifestyles have made it to function actively in our daily lives, which can be quite detrimental to our health. From serious ailments of the heart and brain to fertility issues, high blood pressure and diabetes, stress can contribute to a lot of health risks. Some of the early symptoms of chronic stress include irritability, anxiety, headaches and depression. These alone can have a significant impact on the quality of life.
It might not be possible to really give up all the worries which trigger stress, but opting for a healthier lifestyle and adding regular exercise, meditation, balanced diet and a consistent sleep pattern can help you combat stress and lead a better life.
In addition to these, a lot of people resort to massages, sauna baths, cupping therapy or even hobbies like knitting or baking to overcome stress. The Chinese concept of acupuncture which involves insertion of thin needles into several pressure points on the body is also a widely adapted practice to combat stress.
According to traditional Chinese medicine, illnesses are caused by an imbalance of the complementary extreme ‘yin’ and ‘yang’ of the force of life called ‘Qi’, also known widely as energy. This energy flows along the 14 meridians in the human body and is accessible from over 350 pressure points. Acupuncture works to puncture those pressure points and stabilize the flow of energy. This stability in energy flow gives an instant pain and stress relief. However, not all of us have access to an experience acupuncturist. This is where acupressure mats come into play.
What are Acupressure Mats?
Also known as Needle Stimulation Pad (NSP), acupressure mats are a great alternative for real acupuncture practice. Containing hundreds of plastic points, these mats apply pressure to the body’s pressure points and help relieving stress and back pain. There is also a wide variety of acupressure pillows exclusively designed for use on the neck and the head region.
Unlike acupuncture, these mats do not puncture the skin but only apply pressure and stimulate the points near your body’s 14 energy lines to stimulate the flow of energy. Acupressure mats are known to provide relief for a variety of issues including headache, back ache, neck ache, insomnia, sore muscles as well as stress. These mats are quite inexpensive, safe and convenient. It takes only about nine minutes to relieve your stress using an acupressure mat.
Acupressure mats can be used at home or even at work and provide an instant stress relief. While a lot of medical experts still argue about the effectiveness and scientific evidence of pressure therapy for stress relief, traditional medicine experts and people continue to resort to acupressure and report positive results.
10 Acupressure Mats for Stress Relief at Home
If you are continuously stressed and you don’t have any time for a spa, sauna or acupuncturist, acupressure mats are exactly the solution for you. We have created a list of the 10 best acupressure mats available on Amazon which can provide you instant stress relief from the comfort of your home. For this list, we have considered the price and customer reviews as well as physician recommendations for the product. This list consists of acupressure mats ranging from the highest to the lowest available prices. Read further and make your pick for the acupressure mat that suits your needs best.
- ProsourceFit Acupressure Mat & Pillow
Boasting a 5 star review and over 18000 ratings on Amazon, the ProSoure AcuPressure Mat & Pillow offers great value for money. It is made of 100% linen with organic coconut fiber filling and has over 6000 acupressure points. It stimulates pressure points better than any other Acupressure mat. Only 10 – 30 minutes of laying on the mat helps naturally reduce pain and stress.
- Over 6000 acupressure points stimulate blood flow and relief pain unlike any other mat
- Available for a very affordable price
- Best for desk job people as well as athletes
- Doesn’t have a carry bag included in the price
- The plastic spiked moderately hurt
- The mat is heavy and not easy to carry
- Bed of Nails Original Acupressure Mat
The Bed of Nails Original Acupressure Mat is a holistic solution to your stress and pain relief. The mat has an ergonomic design and helps reduce cortisol levels significantly, easing the sleep process. It is considered one of the most effective and affordable treatment for many muscular & joint pain, and stress related issues. The mat’s prickly design prompt’s the self-healing mechanism of the body and lowers cortisol levels.
- Consists approximately 9000 plastic spikes on 210 acupressure plates, to provide relief to the entire body
- Stimulates blood flow and reduces muscle pain
- Made with non-toxic materials
- The product offers no return policy
- Pricier than other similar options available
- Nayoya Back & Neck Pain Relief Acupressure Mat
With over 6000 pressure points on the mat and another 2000 on the pillow, the Nayoya Back and Neck Pain Relief Acupressure Mat & Pillow set is the best bet for the price. It provides instant pain relief and weighs only 2 pounds. It also comes with a carry box which makes it easier to carry around or travel with. It relieves pain in the neck, back, shoulders and pelvis but also works wonders for sciatic pains and migraines.
- Multifunctional as it serves to relief physical pain, mental stress and serious issues like sciatic pain or migraine
- Instant pain and stress relief
- Light weight and very easy to carry around with its plastic bag
- The prongs on this mat are a bit too sharp and can be problematic for people with sensitive back skin
- DoSensePro Extra Long Acupressure Mat & Pillow
The DoSensePro Extra Long Acupressure Mat & Pillow set is best suited to relief back pain and muscle knots. It is long enough to provide complete support to the back, especially for people with longer heights. The pillow is an added benefit. The longer size makes it an all in one solution as it helps alleviating pain on the whole body unlike other mats which focus mainly on shoulders, upper back and neck. It is also known as a sleep induction mat as it helps in treating insomnia greatly.
- Extra Long size makes it useable for the whole body
- Sleep induction mat, mainly used to ensure smooth and timely sleep
- The set comes with a hot/cold gel pack to further relieve any pain
- Can be uncomfortable for shorter people.
- Ajna Eco Lite Advanced Acupressure Mat & Pillow Set
Recommended by doctors and chiropractors, the Ajna Eco Lite Advanced Acupressure Mat and Pillow set has over 7000 ergonomically engineered spikes which relieve you of pain in minutes. The mat instigates the body’s innate healing response by exerting force on pressure points throughout the body, which stabilize the flow of energy.
- Promotes physical and mental well-being
- Long lasting and made of non-toxic materials
- High density of ergonomic spikes on the mat making it a great healer
- The spikes are too sharp for some people with uber sensitive skin
- Very difficult to clean
- Sivan Back & Neck Relief Acupressure Mat & Pillow
Coming in number 6 on our list, the Sivan back and neck relief acupressure mat and pillow set provide thousands of stimulation point that work to increase blood flow, provide stress relief and regulate energy flow throughout the body. At a very economical price, this acupressure mat is regarded as the best in its price range. It is made of 100% non-toxic plastic and is hand-washable
- 100% non-toxic plastic
- Spikes’ sharpness average which doesn’t hurt when you lay down first
- Provides long-lasting pain relief
- Great for chronic pain in the back
- Relieves anxiety
- Only fit for medium sized adults
- Difficult to clean
- Lixada Acupressure Mat & Pillow with Spiky Massage Balls
Made with skin friendly cotton, the Lixada Acupress Mat & Pillow Set offers added benefit by including the spiky massage balls into the set for a price similar to others in the same category. It is made from eco-friendly high density foam and the massage nails are made with non-toxic plastic. With over 6000 massage points, this mat offers best value for money.
- Very light weight and portable and includes a storage bag which makes it handy
- Relieves back ache, muscle knots as well as migraines and stress pain
- Made with 100% non-toxic plastic
- Hard to clean or rinse
- The spikes are a bit too tough
- Pranamat Eco Therapeutic Massage Set
This therapeutic massage mat by Pranamat is a on the pricier end but offers targeted relief to the sore muscles of the body. It stimulates blood circulation and accelerates the body’s mechanism to combat shooting pains. It comes with an equally effective pillow which helps relieving neck and shoulder pain. Exclusively designed for travelers, the Pranamat therapeutic massage set is light weight and quite easy to carry.
- Light weight and easy to carry
- Exclusively designed for people who travel frequently
- Helps combat stress and sore muscles effectively.
- The mat is way too expensive
- It is difficult to clean and wash this mat
- Colin Acupressure Mat & Pillow Set
Made to naturally reduce muscle tension, the Colin Acupressure Mat regulates blood flow and eases muscle knots and headaches. As acupressure is designed to relief you of headaches, the Colin Acupressure mat provokes the coping mechanism against sore muscles. It comes with a waterproof carrying bag which makes it portable and eases the process for you while traveling.
- Very cost effective
- Comes with a waterproof bag for carrying baby
- Helps relief migraines and muscular pains
- Limited to medium sized adults only
- Spoonk Back & Neck Pain Relief Acupressure Mat Set
The last one on our list is Spoonk Back & Neck pain relief pain acupressure mat set. This mat has over 6000 pressure points which regulate the blood flow inside your body and also helps greatly with getting rid of insomnia. This can be used to calm your nerves down before you go to bed, or could be used early in the morning before heading to work
- Only available in purple color
- Sciatic Nerve, Migraine and stress pains are all easily management with Spoonk
- Made with 100% cotton fabric
- It also comes with a carrying bag and spikey massage ball to help you do your massage manually.
- This mat wears out quickly
While acupressure mats are indeed a blessing and have made pain relief at home convenient, it is advised that you don’t ignore any prolonged muscle ache or joint pain, especially one that persists in your back or neck region, and immediately consult a doctor for better advice and diagnosis in case of any underlying cause. However, if you are looking for a regular upgrade to your self-pampering regime, and you think an acupressure session at the end of a tiring day at work can help you relieve stress and energize you for the next day, head on and make a purchase from one of the Acupressure Mats listed above as these mats are guaranteed to provide you immediate comfort from stressed shoulders and muscle and joint ache throughout the body.