A well-rested body is the key to a healthy and productive life. In order to function normally throughout the day, a sound 8 hour sleep is vital along with a balanced diet and regular exercise. Particularly in children, sleep contributes massively to the development of brain and body equally. A research showed newborns of low birth weight gained healthy weight and showed better signs of mental and physical development when they were put to sleep in a noiseless environment.
A continuous sleep deficiency can increase the risks of various ailments such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and stroke. Lack of sleep also contributes to the deterioration of mental health and the overall quality of life.
A number of factors can contribute to getting inefficient sleep including honking horns around your residence, a snoring partner, a loud neighborhood, and an uncomfortable bed or pillow etc. In addition, sleep deprivation could also be caused by other serious underlying issues such as depression, schizophrenia, chronic pain syndrome, cancer, Parkinson’s or even Alzheimer’s disease. For the latter, it is necessary you consult a physician to prescribe you some medication for sleep or treat the underlying causes of insomnia.
However, if your sleep deprivation has more to do with noise around your house, be it from the neighborhood or your partner, or other ambient and lifestyle factors, there are a few things you could do to improve your sleeping pattern. For starters you might want to adjust your routine, sleeping and waking up at the same time every day and maintaining the same schedule on both weekdays and weekends.
One of the key things which disturb night sleep is the kind of meal you take before going to bed. Avoid taking heavy meals before bedtime. Also refrain from consuming alcohol, caffeine or nicotine at least 2 hours before hitting the bed.
Most importantly, make sure your bed and pillows are comfortable and your bedroom is dark and quiet. If you have loud neighbors or a snoring partner, and you cannot find a solution to reduce the noise in your room, high quality earplugs could offer a very simple fix to the problem.
What are Earplugs?
Usually made of silicone, foam, thermoplastic or wax, earplugs small non electrical devices inserted in the ear canal to minimize ambient noise significantly. In addition to noise reduction, earplugs also protect ears from water intrusion and stops dust particles and other contaminants from entering the ear canal and cause infection.
With significant noise reduction, earplugs play an important role in protecting your hearing. Loud noises can cause a lot of damage to hearing, especially as a person grows older. Traffic, work place noise, loud music and high pitched conversations, all gradually contribute to loss of hearing. Research suggests that any sounds above the 85-90db threshold can have a substantial impact on hearing and noises above 120db can cause complete hearing loss in 15 minutes or less.
Earplugs are therefore very important in order to reduce the ambient noise and protect your sense of hearing. However, when using earplugs, make sure you set the alarm at a higher volume, since earplugs don’t completely block out noise from the outside but reduces it considerably.
Earplugs are available in varying shapes and sizes and are mostly used for noise reduction for a comfortable sleep. In addition to assistance in sleep, earplugs often come handy if you work a job which requires a lot of focus, but the noise around your office makes you lose focus. They are also of great help during traveling.
10 Best Earplugs for Comfort
In order to help you choose the best earplugs from the hundreds of options available online, we have zeroed in on some of the most favorite earplugs. While curating this list, we considered multiple factors including value for money, design and material as well as the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR). Read on to find out some of the bestselling earplugs that promise both comfort and considerable noise reduction .
- Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs
Taking the number 1 spot on this list of the best earplugs for a comfortable sleep are Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs made with moldable silicone and best for use while sleeping, traveling, swimming or even attending concerts. Boasting a staggering 9000+ five-star rating on Amazon, these earplugs are easily the most popular and reliable earplugs available in the market. Based on the variety of settings they can be used, these earplugs offer safe, waterproof and non-toxic protection against noise, water and pollution alike. These are available in a pack of 6 pairs for a very low price.
- Prevents ear infection & safe for use after surgeries
- Offer noise reduction of up to 22dB
- Ultra-comfortable and soft and put no external pressure on your ear canal
- Not suited for people with vertigo
- Sticks to the hair while taking off
- Mack’s Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs
Offering a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 33dB, Mack’s Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs are the best choice for first time buyers. Its Cush Comfort Technology reduces the pressure on ear canal reducing any risks of pain associated with wearing earplugs through the night. For less than $10, you get 50 pairs of ultra-comfortable earplugs, which are even though disposable but many customers have reported using a single pair for up to 3 nights, without any complain. This makes up to 6 months of earplug supply at a very low cost.
- The best noise blockers and perfect for sleeping, studying or traveling
- Made with low pressure foam which reduces pressure on ear canal
- Easily compressible and easily inserted and removed
- The quality of the 50 pairs can be sometimes inconsistent
- Not suited for broader ear canals
- Flent’s Earplugs
This 10 pair pack comes with an earplug case for a very low price and offer a Noise Reduction Rating of 33dB. They are not only good for sleeping but also work well while studying, traveling or indulging on sports. They are latex free and very comfortable to wear.
- Offer noise protection from snoring and ambient noise during sleep as well as heavy machinery or workplace noise pollution
- The material tapers to the ear canal making them a custom fit
- The shape makes them prone to falling out of the ears while sleeping
- The foam is a bit rigid for the ear canal
- Anbow’s Reusable Silicone Earplugs
This pack of 6 pairs of reusable silicone earplugs, boast the reusability as the strongest factor of them making up to this list. Offering a noise reduction rating of 32dB, the product comes with an earplug case as well as a bonus travel pouch where you can keep earplugs.
- High NRR ensures protection of hearing against impairment
- Offer water protection and can be worn during swimming
- Made from high-grade material
- Reusable, BPA free and washable
- Also comes with a waterproof pouch that you can carry in your pocket
- These earplugs are not the best choice for super sensitive ears
- Since they are large in size, sometimes they stick out of ears which can make sleeping while wearing them a bit uncomfortable
- Mack’s Slim Fit Foam Earplugs
If there’s one brand which stands out from the rest when it comes to Earplug manufacturing, Mack’s is the name. The third Mack’s product on this list, these slim fit foam earplugs are fully skinned and provide a hygienic solution to customers. With a Noise Reduction Rating of 29dB, these foam earplugs are one of the most comfortable earplugs out in the market.
- High Noise Reduction Rating of 29dB
- Great for protection of hearing especially in older adults
- Provide maximum comfort for ear canals
- Don’t fit well in broader ear canals
- Mack’s Dreamgirl Soft Foam Earplugs
Widely recognized as the most recommended brand for earplugs by doctors, Mack has an earplug for everyone. The Dreamgirl soft foram earplugs are relatively smaller in size for smaller ear canals and offer greater comfort and fit. They have a silky smooth texture and offer a high Noise Reduction Rating of 30dB. These earplugs are equally awesome for both sleeping or studying as they cancel out most ambient noise and allow you to focus.
- High Noise Reduction Rating of 30dB
- Molded with super low pressure, their unique hollow design and small size makes them the most comfortable earplugs for sleeping
- Only fit for smaller ear canals, particularly women’s
- The hollow design impacts noise reduction significantly
- Flent’s Foam Earplugs
With a high Noise Reduction Rating of 29dB, Flent’s Foam Earplugs are available only for $2.98 and include 10 pairs and an earplug case, which is great value for money. In terms of their usability, these earplugs are great to be used at concerts, construction sites, factories or any other such place where the environment is generally loud. They are extra soft and made from extra light foam which tapers to the ear canal for a custom fit.
- Noise Reduction Rating of 29dB
- Comfortable size which makes them fit just fine inside the ear
- Very inexpensive
- Reusable for about 3 to 5 times
- Not great for concerts since they muffle the high tones a lot
- They have a strong plastic odor for a few days once you open the pack
- Mpow Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs
Mpow ultra-soft foam earplugs are non-toxic, comfortable soft earplugs, offering noise reduction rating of 39dB. This is one of the highest NRR offered by any earplug. These Mpow Earplugs are very light and dense providing perfect fit for all sorts of ears. They are not only great for a sound sleep but also protect your ears from irritants while you swim. The Mpow ultra foam earplugs are best for super noisy places like construction sites, concerts, fireworks, or spectator stands at a sports event.
- High Noise Reduction Rate of 39dB
- Great for meditation, study or sound sleep
- Protect ears and prolongs proper hearing
- Causes sweating around the ears quickly
- Kuyax Reusable Silicone Earplugs
The reusable Kuyax silicone earplugs have a standard noise reduction rating of 27dB which is good enough to block out noise from a snoring partner or a loud neighborhood. These earplugs are made of high grade silicone and can be used multiple times, washed and then used again until the paid wears out. They are very comfortable to wear and easy to use. Due to their smaller size, they fit inside the ear canal and are particularly very suitable for side sleepers.
- Noise reduction rating of 27dB
- Washable and reusable multiple times
- Compact and easy to fit inside the ear canal
- If not cared for properly, they could leave remnants inside the ear canal which can ultimately cause ear infection
- Not suited for people with big ears
- Decibullz Custom Molded Earplugs
These custom molded earplugs offer noise reduction rating of 31dB and are very comfortable to wear. They help in reducing ambient noise and eventually helping you sleep. Due to their moldable material, the Decibullz Molded Earplugs are probably the first earplugs that can be custom made according to your ear size. All you got to do is heat the thermoplastic molds in boiling water, let them dry and then shape them according to your ears.
- Easily moldable and reusable
- Heavy noise reduction rate of 31dB
- Doesn’t cancel all ambient noise because most buyers prefer setting it up
Not as easy to make the bed
Sleeplessness is quite detrimental to health, which is why a sound sleep is very important. Noise remains one of the major causes of poor sleep, and earplugs provide the most inexpensive but effective fix against ambient noise.
While sleep is important and earplugs help you get the necessary comfy sleep, don’t be overly dependent on the use of earplugs even during the day because overuse of earplugs can push back the earwax and lead to tinnitus or partial or complete loss of hearings. In addition to earplugs, you can also use white noise machines, sleep apps, or even better, sound proof your room for a comfortable sleep.